Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Yuca con mojo and blackbeans!

Cassava...yuca..

I love boiled yuca, especially Cuban styled yuca con mojo with black beans! The trouble is I've been terrified to cook yuca because I've heard stories about it not being cooked properly and developing poison and killing people.

But, I had to have faith...

So I finally made yuca con mojo from scratch. It was amazing!

I boiled the cut up yuca for 1 hour at high, in salt and butter. The recipe called for lime, but I put that in the mojo.

Mojo - Enough for 1lb of yuca:

Quarter cup olive oil
Half an orange for orange juice
One lime for lime juice
Half a lemon for lemon juice
Minced garlic - about four cloves
Minced cilantro  about half a bunch
Mix all this up. Add hot pepper if so inclined.

I took the yuca out of the pot, and added more butter to it separately. Then I poured on the mojo and let it marinate.

Black beans

I'll admit, the black beans were out of a tin. Not from scratch. The only legumes I can make from scratch are lentils.

What I did was sautee sweet bell peppers, garlic and onion in olive oil separately, and threw the hot sautee on the already cooked black beans. That was nice!


No comments:

Post a Comment